Being a self-managed property manager is a very rewarding and profitable experience. But, if you are new to the rental industry, Rental Property Management Christchurch-wide can become quite difficult.
To get you started, we have created a basic guideline that can help you manage your properties more efficiently.
Step 1. Important Landlord Basics
You don’t need to be a property management pro to effectively carry out rental property management Christchurch; all you need is an interest and dedication to learning the business.
The very first thing you need to learn is to manage a work schedule. Whether you manage single or multiple properties, you need to be meticulous in planning and scheduling your tasks, such as tracking expenses, general maintenance, etc.
It is also a good idea to set up LLC to protect you from all sorts of legal problems.
Step 2 – Learn Absolutely Everything About Your Property
Perhaps you inherited a family property or were forced to move out of your current residence due to work obligations; in both cases, you become the landlord without any prior preparations.
In such cases, whether you manage the property yourself or hire a professional rental firm, you need to be aware of everything related to your property, including the nearby amenities and effective cash flow.
Step 3 – Finding Tenants
The third and one of the most essential steps in property management is finding the perfect tenant. The process of finding one can sometimes be quite intimidating. Below are some steps you can follow to find quality tenants:
- Before listing the property, understand your country’s fair housing and discrimination laws to prevent any future hassles.
- Portray your rental property to potential tenants by either hosting an open house or setting up individual meets. You can even hire a professional cleaner to appraise the property value.
- Offer information flyers of your properties to the potential tenants to show the value of your property and respect towards them.
- Give interested parties a rental application form that will help you easily perform verifications and background checks.
- Sort through the applications and select the one most in tune with your requirements.
- Once you have selected the right tenant, make sure you update the online listing status of your property and clearly state the reasons for rejection to the rejected parties.
- Collect a security deposit amount and get the lease papers signed.
- Before handing over the keys, do a final walk-down stating all the expectations and general conditions of the rental unit.
Step 4 – Property Maintenance
After the paperwork has been signed, the main focus shifts from property management to property maintenance. You need periodic maintenance checks to ensure everything is in order.
Maintaining a schedule for rent collection is also important to prevent any future discrepancies.
If all is going well between you and the tenants and you, wish to renew the lease, make sure to inform them regarding the same and give them time to reach a decision.
If you look forward to making rental property management Christchurch-wide an additional income source, keep in mind that being a landlord is a full-time business. If you can’t invest so much time, then hiring a professional firm for the same is your best choice.